Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thirsty?

There seems to be a common thread amongst my friends. Many of us are feeling plum worn out! I think that God is calling us all to drink deeply of Him. I remember a talk we use to give to new missionaries. We would hold a Styrofoam cup and talk about how God wants to fill our lives like the cup...and that as ministers sometimes we pull our cup out from under God's fountain of refreshment and start to quench the thirst of other. At last, what was once in our cups is gone and WE are left empty and dry. Our cups must stay under the Fountain that is Christ...our ministry to others must come from that which overflows from our lives being full to the brim and pouring over... We all need to stay under the fountain of God's Word and in His presence. Ministry can never be a substitute for truly being found in Him!

Psalms 36
5 Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.
6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,

your justice like the great deep.
O LORD, you preserve both man and beast.
7 How priceless is your unfailing love!

Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house;

you give them drink from your river of delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life;

in your light we see light.
10 Continue your love to those who know you,

your righteousness to the upright in heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true. It's easy to empty yourself over and over and feel like you don't have the time to fill up. It reminds me of a story about a group of preachers who met at a restaraunt for breakfast. After the waitress had filled the other preachers' cups numerous times, the one whose cup was still empty asked, "Miss, why have you not filled my cup with coffee?" She replied, "Sir, you never turned it over. As long as you leave it upside down in the saucer, it will stay empty." So, I guess we all need to make sure our cup stays under the fountain and it's turned right side up! Thanks for the post.

Buddy said...

Nothing compares with Him.

Dale I like your illustation. I will be using that in future talks I'm sure.

A few weeks ago while I was in a time of prayer, I thought to myself how easy it is to be in the Lord's presence, and in the same moment I thought how silly it is that we just don't take the time to get there.