Saturday, August 25, 2007

Deer Huntress

I went out to my husband's deer lease today. It was my first official trip and I guess one of many trips to be made by my family this year! It has been three years since my husband's first hunting trip. Since then, he has participated faithfully in this yearly ritual. Up until this year I have observed from afar and can only say that with what we have spent each year on deer hunting, I could have bought a brand new upright freezer EACH YEAR and filled it full with organic meat. But I'm sure I must be missing something, because it doesn't seem to be important to him and his hunting buddies if they actually bring meat home??? I'm missing something right???

It was darn hot today and because we slept in this morning, we didn't get out to the lease til almost noon. By then, all the other living things in God's creation had sought shelter from the heat ...but we were out there packing 40 lb. bags of corn to the deer feeder! I don't know how we ended up at the top of the food chain? Anyway...did I mention that it was hot?

Tonight before bed I heard our eldest daughter tell daddy "thank you" for taking her out to the deer lease and that she had a "great time". The other girls chimed in unanimously behind her. It was at that moment that I realized that I would carry 40 lb. bags of corn , in 102* heat everyday to hear my kids thank their daddy for a great day!!! So, I will cheerfully participate in our family hunting trips from now on and maybe I will be the one to sack that deer this year?!
Hey...then maybe Buddy will buy me an upright freezer?

6 comments:

Dreama said...

And just how are you going to do this with school, church and soccer??? LOL!! You need a clone!

Dreama said...

You've been tagged...check out my blog for rules.

melissa lynn said...

I think I am going to teach my children to be happy when they go to the mall. It's about as primative as hunting sometimes but alot more enjoyable. lol.

Anonymous said...

Buddy,

You are one brave man. I didn't tag Cherie because . . . she's just started home school again, and she's recently taken a liking to hunting (with a real gun). I was afraid if I added more details to her life, she might want to tag me "real time." :)

Buddy said...

You are right. Hunting for me has very little to do with harvesting animals, but has everything to do with what we all experienced on our day in the heat. I was elated that the girls and you understood, because it is something that I love, and being able to share it with those that I desperately love, brings me a joy beyond words. If it is any consolation it gets no more difficult than what you experienced on Saturday and if you want a freezer all you have to do is go get it. You don't even have to "bag" the deer. - love you ;)

Anonymous said...

Don't buy a new freezer. We have one we aren't using!