Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Unexpected Bends in the River

Having grown up in Northern California, canoeing was a big part of my family's life. I cannot remember a time when my parents did not own a canoe and make time in their busy schedules to get out on the Russian River. Even now my father competes in races with his friends who are all in their sixties and seventies. I guess for now, some things haven't changed.

I've been pondering the unanticipated changes that we face from time to time in our lives. This last month has brought many unforeseen changes in the lives of several of my good friends. When this happens it causes me to cry out to God and ask that He wrap His arms around them and help them to know that He is present.

As a young person I struggled with suicidal thoughts almost constantly. It seemed to me that dying would be the only escape from whatever stressful situation I found myself in at that time. One day when I found myself especially depressed, my mother shared with me that life is like a river and as times we find ourselves in really turbulent spots. We feel like we will capsize at any moment...but if we hang on and press forward... right around the corner will be another calm.
I can't tell you how many times I have comforted myself with that idea. I have experienced many rough patches, times in my life when I was ready to throw in the oars and let the river swallow me. But I have seen the truth in my mother's encouraging picture of the river. Through enduring (with the help of Christ), I have come out on the other side into a calm place of rest. What I really mean is...that each time that I endure...there is a place of rest and blessing ...just around the bend.

One of my favorite quotes, "There are no surprises in Heaven."- Corrie Ten Boom

Philippians 4:6-8

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mother's words make me think about Psalm 30:5(b)"weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Isn't it wonderful to have parents that cared enough to encourage? Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

That's such an interesting analogy. I have stuggled with deperssion for years and though I have described those "dark" moments as "spirals", I've never thought of them in these terms.

It's helpful to see how others describe the things you experience. I believe it helps with one to understand the condition and cope. Thanks for sharing.

billy said...

boats with holes in them sink- even in calm waters-

Cherie said...

Billy- This is so true! I am glad that my boat has been made whole through Christ!

Cherie said...

In the new light that Billy shed upon my analogy I need to add...that if your boat hasn't been given over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ..you are sunk!!!