Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Too Comfortable

The Uncomfort Zone, is the name of a friend's blog page. I have to admit that I use to live in that zone, in another time and country. It seems to elude me now though. Living in the belt of the comfort zone, here in the South, I struggle against getting too satisfied or cozy. We have our temp. controlled buildings, full time church staff, classes for every age group, perfectly designed nurseries, music to suit every genre, and restrooms with their own floral arrangements. I could go on! We are drowning in showers of blessings! I have to admit that these things contribute to the ever growing temptation I feel to sit back and fall asleep spiritually. I realized the extent of my trouble a few weeks ago when my husband was considering having our family join in a new church plant. All of a sudden I was faced with a dilemma...Do we really want to take our kids out of a church where they are so tied in and in which they are being ministered?
I actually entertained the thought that it might be detrimental to our daughters to enter into a church plant where they couldn't participate in all the wonderful programs in which they are currently involved.
What on the earth has happened to me? Five years ago I wouldn't have given any call from the Lord a second thought. "Mexico?.....Great Lord! Kenya, Africa?...I can't wait! Haiti?....I'm packing up right now!" But over time I have become too comfortable. Now I shutter at the thought of my kids not having an awesome Christian drama/choir teacher or a fully equipped, Lifeway trained, Sunday school teacher or a great church family that is like a real family. I am ashamed of myself!
Of course, the Lord convicted me of my selfish concerns. It didn't take long for me to realize that a church plant could be a great opportunity to challenge the girls to truly live out and practise all the Biblical knowledge that has been fed them since birth.
Though God did not end up directing Buddy to join the church plant, I am once again ready and willing to leave my wonderful church...if and when the Lord leads us elsewhere. For now we will continue to seek to serve the Lord whole heartedly and to look for opportunities to step outside the Comfort Zone!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch....that hurt! (stab, stab) :)

Buddy said...

Cherie...I am so glad you feel that way now. It's time to talk. :)

Cherie said...

Buddy...I would be happy to talk if you would come out of your office:)...I'm waiting on you now!

Cherie said...

You know that it is time to schedule some one on one when the majority of your communicating is taking place through instant messaging and blog comments!!!!!
Anyone else experiencing this trend in their marriage?....Time for a date night:)

Anonymous said...

I feel something begining to take root all around me. It is exciting. I feel like I am sitting in the early church right before the dispersion and I know it is about to happen. Almost like God is using FBCGBC to rev up and instill the Missio Dei within several people and then in a moment he will break and scatter the whole thing. I just hope we all follow God's leading and not have to have any of us stoned or pushed off the temple to listen.

Buddy said...

Josh...it will take root or we will all have to face the evangelism linebacker:

http://www.sermonspice.com/videos/722/evangelism-linebacker-no-excuses/

Anonymous said...

Cherie---where have your thought provoking, heart wrenching, God-filled posts fled to?? I miss them!! Please write something soon to enlighten and challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Cher...
Great last blog but I agree with Kari. Where have you been lately?? One of the neatest things I've taken part in is reading your thoughts on God-things, God-people things, fears... Whatever and provoke others (me)to chew on those thoughts like cattle chewing their cud. Guess that's called meditating. Meditating on God, what an original idea.....

Anonymous said...

I agree...More, More, More!! (Please?!)