Thursday, February 15, 2007

Jeb Hensarling Called Me...Who?

The coolest thing happened to me tonight as I was reading through my friends' blogs. I got a call from my congressman! Okay...some of you are already thinking...big deal. But I thought that it was cool. I was invited to stay on the line and participate in a "conference call type town meeting". Since I am taking a government class right now, and the girls where already quietly watching a video; I decided to listen in on the meeting for a few minutes...which ended up turning into 45 minutes.
I haven't ever taken much interest in the happenings of my state or my nation. I thought that I hated politics. I've realized over the past few weeks that I was just afraid of politics...just like I was afraid of blogging. I am always afraid of things that I don't understand (yes Tamara, this why I am a recovering "12 o'clock flasher" ). But, the call made me reconsider my lack of involvement. I might actually start reading up on the latest issues and e-mailing or calling my congressman in the future. I might even start praying for him and try to share Christ with him.
He didn't know what he was in for when he called the Holt household...even if the call was computer generated and he didn't know I was on the line!

6 comments:

Cherie said...

Hey...I think that I even voted for that guy. I shamefully vote blindly...straight Repulican ticket. I know, I know...I hope to become a more informed, more responsible citizen. I think that I will go out right now and find a good blog that discusses politics. Look what you started Josh!

Anonymous said...

Cherie, I think he is a Christian.
I vote straight Republican also. I can't vote for Democrats just because of their platform(abortion, gay rights,ect..) Even if it is a Christian Democrat. I am with you though, I do need to get more active in writing my elected officials.

Cherie said...

You could be right Kenneth... Jeb and his wife Melissa are members of St. Michael and All Angels Church ...I will pray for them anyway. Of course we know that membership in a "church" , does not guarantee membership in the Kingdom :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherie, In my reading this morning, I came across this regarding the ruling responsibility of Moses, "When they have a difficulty, they come to me, and I judge between one and another; and I make known the statutes of God and His laws." If one of our political leaders would just make and live by that statement, I would vote for his ticket, unquestionably!!

Anonymous said...

Cherie, In regard to your statement that membership in a "church", does not guarantee membership in the Kingdom. I just read this week this comment and I thought it was good and wanted to remember it and now I can share it with you:

"Just going to church doesn't make us a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car".

Cherie said...

Mom...that's funny!