Monday, July 16, 2007

Overgrown

Saturday we returned from a week long vacation at the beach and pulled into the driveway to be greeted by our terribly overgrown yard. I must clarify that when I write yard, I'm not referring to 500 square feet of Saint Augustine and a token tree or two...I'm talking about two acres of East Texas jungle. I have for 8 years worked feverishly to tame into submission this overgrown piece of land...but it seems to get the best of me and in such a short time!

As is often the case when it comes to my gardens, I am reminded that it is the same with our spiritual lives. We work to keep the flesh under submission to the things of Christ, we weed out that which would be contrary God's plan for our plot. We allow the Holy Spirit to cut and prune in ways that will prove fruitful. But it doesn't take too long of a spiritual vacation for things to get weed ridden, overgrown or just plain wilting for lack of the life giving water of God's Word and tending from the Master's hand.
My prayer for myself and for you is that you would be ever vigilant to allow the Lord to tend to your life and that you will seek after His plan for you, so that you may remain fruitful and well manicured...for His glory. No spiritual vacations here!!

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cherie,

What a great analogy. Thanks for the encouragement,and welcome back.

Buddy said...

I love you Cher! My prayer for you is that your spiritual plot always flourishes...but I would also like for your "real" yard to grow slower and your pool not to turn green in just a week. WHAT A WHIPPIN'! :|

Cherie said...

Buddy- But you were so good to hop right on that mower (after just having driven 7 hrs. in the truck) and get it cleaned up for me. I love you for being concerned about the things that concern me! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Buddy and Cheri --
You two sound like "love birds" commenting to each other!! Glad you had a wonderful vacation. We missed you both and look forward to reconnecting. Wish I could say that our yard is overgrown because we've been on vacation!! :) ;)

Dreama said...

Woman! What are you doing up blogging at 2:06am??? You and your husband sure do keep strange hours! My husband and I are way to old to stay up, LOL. The last time we did it was due to Trace Brown!!!

Cherie said...

Yes...it is true that we keep exceptionally late hrs...it is the only time when it is quiet enough to think(and blog)!