Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Time To Be Quiet

I have recently gone through a bit of a "rough patch". Over the past month or so, my new found quietness has been taken in various ways...silence isn't always safe, as it allows for speculation, and speculation allows for misjudgement. I have learned that when I am tempted to judge another, I should try to err on the side of grace. (I don't always do this successfully, but it is my aim.) I'm looking for a community whose first instinct is grace. Grace is like glue, it will create eternal bonds between people. I have found yet another wise proverb by which to live.

Proverbs 10:19
"In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise."


I will that God would make me a quieter person. I have always deeply admired ladies who have "gentle, quiet spirits." That has never been me, in the natural. People close to me have referred to me as a kind of whirlwind of activity and emotion. I admit that I would much rather be described as pensive and wise. This though will take an act of God, an act for which I am presently praying.

1 Peter 3: 3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

God help me.

7 comments:

Recovering Noah said...

Actually, I think you're pretty great the way you are. You're approachable - and that makes people like me feel so much more at ease. I may be missing the point of your post, but I would feel intimidated going to a church full of quiet and pensive women. I already feel insecure a lot of the times anyway and it's easy for me to judge myself against other women who are much more Godly than I am. I do understand about wise people keeping their emotions to themselves, but I think it's also wise to be who God intended you to be and to use that to minister to women who really need to find someone that they can relate to - because you can't reach someone if they don't feel comfortable.

Hope that makes sense.

Leslie

Cherie said...

Makes sense to me...I sure want to be who God made me,
I do have to guard my words though. If everything I think or feel came out of my mouth( which is a temptation for a personality like mine), it would surely scare everyone off!!! ;)

I have to add...that I am glad that everything YOU think and feel comes out in your blog :) :) (I'm laughing with you, not at you)...I laugh so hard, I cry! I love your blog and Buddy and I are convinced that you need to write a book!!! We love you and your precious family and are so glad that God has placed you in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Wow....this sounds kind of "melancholy" :) :) j/k

Dreama said...

Cherie,
I to had hit a rough patch recently but until I spent a Monday morning with you I didn't realize that others maybe be going through something or the same thing also. After talking to you that day I felt such a HUGE relief!! I even called Mike to share it with him.

I see in you both the "gentle, quiet spirit who is pensive and wise BUT at the same time the "whirlwind". Frankly, I think it's wonderful that you can be both.

As for the mouth part...I struggle with that DAILY!!!

And what Leslie said about judging herself against other women who are much more "Godly" than she is.

WOW, I do that too...constantly. Like I don't measure up or fit in.

Then God will show me that this isn't a COMPETION against one another. We're suppose to be on the same side, His side. We learn at different rates, different times and from one another.

Could be that we "women" need to get some type of study together. Just a thought...or maybe I opened my big mouth again, LOL!!!

Buddy said...

I think you are wonderful and Godly. I also agree with Leslie about the quiet pensative church ladies...that would freak me out....do you remember that movie the Steppford Wives? Spooky!!!

Mike said...

Why do people jump to judgment instead of charity in all things??

No wonder God wiped everyone from the face of the earth once before....

Julie, isn't melancholy a vegifruit?? A cross beteeen water-melan and choly-flower??

Let the vegifruit comment be a lesson to you Cherie about writing down everything that comes to mind....LOL..... We love you and will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Cherie,

Thanks for coming by and saying hello. I miss seeing you, Buddy and the girls. I hope all is well. As far as your post, I believe you are God's whirlwind of activity. He puts personalities like your's with those pensive, quiet women to create a bond of power that will work His will. Obviously, you are what Leslie needs in a female friend, and it would appear that she is grateful to the Lord for how He made you.

Take care,
Dale