Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring Fever

It's upon us once again. Spring, glorious spring...it has arrived in our corner of Texas. I called my mom in Oregon (where it was snowing today) to gloat about my irises, which are in full bloom and to tell her that the kids were in the pool twice last week ( personally I think they are crazy).
Yes...spring is here...and unlike every other living thing I'm plum wore out!
I'm so tired! This time change thing always messes with me . It normally takes a week to get my body back into the swing of things. It probably doesn't help that I haven't slept for more than 5 hrs. any of of past 4 nights... or that we are in the height of allergy season...the trees are all in bloom. I went out to my black Yukon this morning only...it wasn't black anymore it was YELLOW (no joke).
I went into Wal-mart tonight to pick up a few things for the bookstore and found myself wondering once again through the gardening section...this will be my detour for the next 4 months. I had promised myself this year that I wasn't going to purchase anything that wasn't edible. I have been gardening for many years now and can lay down some serious cash during this season. Being in a recession and all I decided to grow some food, which I attempt every year, but have never succeeded to get even enough veggies for a single salad! So I picked up some more tomato plants...can't ever have enough of those...besides last year I planted six plants and harvested 2...count them 2 tomatoes...so this year I have now planted 22 plants...which if I apply last years math to this years tomato plants, I can expect to reap 7.3 tomatoes this summer. LOL, maybe I should plant some more?
Okay so back to my trip to the garden section. I also picked up some zucchini, and some yellow squash, and an oregano plant, because I killed my 6 year old plant when I moved it. Oh yeah...and I bought a flat of nice big yellow marigolds. I figured that the marigolds don't count against my declaration that I would only plant edibles, seeing that you CAN eat marigold flowers... or so I've read in my Country Living Magazine. So I didn't break my rule for this gardening season...yet. I don't know why I make up stupid rules for myself and force myself to do things I don't want to do, and go without doing things I want to do. I guess it is called self-discipline. Something my parents taught me I suppose.- Cherie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! From my perspective, your thumb is definately green. Each spring I have to repent when I see your beautiful vegetation and compare it to my own. At least you didn't plant your tomatoes in a bed of poison ivy like I did, lol!

Cherie said...

Julie, I hope that I reap enough tomatoes for both of our families. I like to share...something else my parents taught me!