Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another Kind of Fever

I'm doing some research on some symptoms that I've been experiencing lately and I think that I can safely say that I have fallen under the influence of what many call "chicken fever". It must be a real illness because if you google it, it pops up on the screen, page after page..."chicken fever".
It all started many years ago when my husband brought home 7 books on homesteading. Anytime he wants to do anything, he buys all the books he can find on the subject. This may have something to do with why we have a bookstore now. But for years now I have devoured these books., especially the chapters on gardening, chickens and goats. My real symptoms started the day that my husband finally gave into my request to buy myself a few laying hens. I was as shocked as can be when he agreed to let his father build me a coupe and yard during their visit from Indiana recently. My father-in-law wasted no time getting my "neat as a pin coupe and yard" built. Those were Buddy's exact words..."It must be as neat as a pen. I don't want to look like pwt." I had to laugh. (This was the same weeks he moved his "been on the bottom of the lake" sailboat into our driveway!) So, Buddy's dad made sure the coupe and yard looked cute.
It IS so cute..and yes I am aware that it sounds weird to be so enamored with my coupe and hens...but they are simply lovely. I can't help but stand at my kitchen window in the morning and watch them scratch and peck, while I sip my morning Chai-tea (because I am TRYING to give up coffee, but that is another post entirely).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I actually entertained the thought of getting chickens after you did. I spent a few days feeling like I could step over "the line" and just do it, but then I looked at the eggs I had in the frig and thought about how easy it was to go to the store and purchase them as opposed to having to be responsible for the lives that gave them, and I decided against it, lol. So, please don't let me see your lovely chickens or I might begin to change my mind again ;)

Dreama said...

the thought never crossed my mind! We had them growing up. The rooster drove me nuts!

stacyw said...

Have you googled "chicken envy"? I think that may be my ailment, rather than the fever. Praying for the coupe...

Cherie said...

Juile... you choose STORE BOUGHT EGGS over organic, free range?
Pam wants chickens.I think that the boys want them too...just take a vote. hehehe
Dreama...I have no rooster. I have heard they can be mean. Besides, my neighbors would hate me.
Stacy...I agree, you should have chickens. Your yard was made for chickens! I can see you out in the chicken yard in your sundress, throwing your hens hen-scratch.

J.Baker said...

Cherie,
We used to have LOTS of chickens. I love them! I too enjoy watching them scratch and peck. Their fun. BIG draw back though, snakes in the hen house. Our chicken days were over after we spent several years and dollars replacing chickens because our dog liked to chase...and ultimately...catch them. No more chickens. Now that Rocky is gone we've talked about getting them again. Now Gene's aunt in oklahoma is incubating us some. I can't wait.