Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shelter

Our praise band has the great privilege to lead worship and preach at a women's shelter once a month. It is always such a delight to see how God uses that time to reveal himself to both the members of our band and to the ladies living at the shelter. Tonight was no exception.

I have been very sick for 2 days. The Texas allergens have really taken their toll on me and I spent half of the day in bed. I considered staying home tonight but knew that the Lord always has something special in store for these evenings at the shelter and who wants to miss out on seeing God's hand at work, right?

It is so wonderful to see these women worship. They never seemed concerned about who else might be looking on. They ex hue complete gratefulness before the Lord. There is always a great feeling of humility, which I think must please the Lord. I am attracted to their humility. Most of these women have completely hit bottom. Many have come from terribly abusive situations, some are seeking freedom from a lifetime of addictions, there are many who have lost their children as a result. These women know that they were lost and now they are just so grateful to be found.

Each time we have gone to minister there I always have had the opportunity to pray with a woman. Tonight a woman approached me and asked if I would pray for her. She shared that 2 weeks ago she left her husband , who is a drug dealer. She has been off crack for 2 weeks. She hadn't seen her 11 year old son in 3 years and her 2 month old daughter was taken from her at the hospital because she was born addicted to crack.

This is not the first time I have heard stories like this. Since leaving our church almost a year ago, and joining a church plant, we have heard too many stories just like this one. It is heart breaking and causes me to wonder how it is that God saw fit to intervene in my life so early...I could have been just like her. I know that there was nothing in me that sought God. My heart was as evil as anyone else...but God saved me just in time, before I would have to suffer a lifetime of consequences for my rebellion. By this realization I am humbled, and grateful that He saved me when it was still early.

I could have been just like her.

No comments: