Saturday, April 12, 2008

Strawberry Picking


When I was a little girl growing up in California, my mom would take us cherry picking every summer. Well...it probably wasn't every summer. It was probably only 3 times...but I like to remember it like it was ever summer...such sweet memories. So years ago when I learned that you could grow blueberries in Texas, I looked for somewhere to take my kids blueberry picking. We have been to several blueberry farms but my favorite by far is in La Rue, TX...BIGGEST, JUICIEST BLUEBERRIES YA EVER SAW!

This year I decided to expand our fruit picking experience to include strawberries. A friend told me of a place just an hour from my house where we can go out and pick our own strawberries. The farm is in Fairfield, The Berry Patch. The drive down the old farm roads was beautiful. The weather was perfect and the berries were huge! After picking blueberries for years, it seemed so strange to drive that far and have our berries picked so quickly. Those huge things fill up a basket in no time flat! I think that we ended up with 17 lbs. We ate strawberry shortcake last night and then I finished freezing the rest tonight, for smoothies, pies and such.
Later this summer we want to go peach picking...I'm scouting out a couple places. I can already taste the homemade peach ice cream. Yum, yum...

No comments: