Sunday, June 3, 2007

Border Control

Should we close our borders? I really don't have a decisive answer to this question. I just pose the question because it seems such a hot topic lately wherever I go. I have a heart felt response, but my educated, researched response is still evolving.

In the past 10 years I have had the opportunity to share the Gospel with numerous undocumented aliens. Being bilingual has opened doors for me to share Christ with many Spanish speakers, and also disciple them to Christian maturity. Some of them are still in the US, others have moved back to their countries of origin.

The other day I was speaking with a brother in Christ who supports the closing of our borders and the profiling of Middle Eastern people. Our conversation left me wondering about the thousands of Muslim people that come to our country and the great opportunity we as Christ's disciples have to come along side of them and share the Truth. (I need to add that my friend and brother is not a racist. I just think he is missing a Kingdom building opportunity.I love you man!) Shortly after this conversation I read an article in a magazine, ParentLife. The article entitled, How Racism Impacts Your Family stated that 91% of Muslim-background Christians (Muslims who become Christians after coming to the US), worship in English-speaking churches. That is great, I thought! We have ex-Muslim brothers and sisters. I rejoice when I hear that! I also realize that God used their coming to the US as an opportunity to open their spiritual eyes to their lostness and to Jesus Christ!!

Just the other day a pastor friend shared a statistic with me that also excited me. He said for every person you lead to Jesus Christ, you open the door to an average of 10 more people who will be directly impacted by that new believer! Wow...that is exciting!

So...my heart felt response to the border question is let them come, and let true followers of Christ be busy about reaching them with the Good News of Jesus! I know that it sounds uneducated and simple, but I just want everyone to have an opportunity to know Jesus.
I'm sure that there will be many who can respond, and point out the many flaws in my thinking, but I thought that I would be a little brave in my post this week! This is my contribution to the freedom of speech. May you feel free to speak too!

No comments: