Monday, January 15, 2007

We Need A Little Rain

What attitude should Christ's followers have when we face difficulties and suffering? To be honest, I know how I tend to react...quick to wonder why God has forsaken me...or to complain of how unjust my suffering seems. Of course, as I write this, it is easy to roll my eyes at myself. I have a feeling though that I am not alone in this boat. Maybe you have been there too?
Believers need to be constantly reminded that nothing comes our way that doesn't first pass through the loving hands of God. One of my favorite verses is, "For we know that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose."
A certain organization offered $5000 for wolves captured alive. As a result, there were two men that scoured the mountains day and night looking for their lucrative prey. After an exhausting day of hunting the men fell asleep to later be awakened by the furious growling of a pack of wolves; eyes flaming and teeth bared. One of the men woke to nudge his friend, " Bud, wake up. We're rich."
When difficulties and trials surround us, remembering that God is sovereign, in control, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, can turn the worst situation into an opportunity for our "good" and for His glory.
"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. And let patience have its perfect work in you, that you may be perfect, and complete, lacking nothing. " James 1 ; 2-4

The fruit of the Spirit will not come to complete maturation in our lives with only sunshine. There will be days of dark clouds and rain...but to God be the great glory for the fruitfulness of His hands working in our lives, even on those rainy days.
God, we surrender ourselves to your plan and to your work to make us fruitful. Give us the grace to accept both sunshine and rain!- In Jesus Name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Cherie!!! Some people complain because God put thorns on roses, while others praise Him for putting roses among thorns. Something I read back in 1995: "When you have truly thanked the Lord for every blessing sent, then you'll have little time to murmur a lament."

Anonymous said...

AMEN AND AMEN
SCRIPTURE TELLS US IT RAINS ON THE JUST AND UNJUST ALIKE. YOUR ABSOLUTLY RIGHT AS BELIVERS OUR RAIN HAS A DIFFERENT PURPOSE.

Anonymous said...

Something I tell my students all the time..."Mercy is new every morning" comes to mind when I read this...I thank God for that mercy. I tend to use mine up by noon every day and find myself in withdrawal before bedtime each night. On the rainy days, I am on my knees begging God for a fix to my addiction to mercy. But then, bedtime rolls around and I find myself waking up to the sunshine of a new day and I feel a little stronger for having withstood the rain...Thanks for the words. I needed to read them but then God knows where to place them when I need to see them and it is nice to have them come from a friend.