Monday, January 25, 2010

Unexpected Blessings

I took my mom to the airport today for her flight home to Oregon. She had been here to watch my two youngest while my eldest and I made a mission trip to India.
Due to medical reasons, our trip was cut short when we reached New Jersey. My daughter and I were forced to return to Texas by train. These totally unforeseen circumstances resulted in many unexpected blessing for my family. First, my daughter and I (though very sad and a bit confused about not getting to go to Sarah's) were given the opportunity to spend some very quiet, one on one time with each other. She is almost fourteen. I realize that she is nearly grown! I'll blink again, and she may be out of the house!!! (ouch) We made many memories together as we traveled home and I will always cherish our "unexpected adventure".
The second blessing was that I spent a week with my mother, who came to watch my other children in our absence. I had not seen her in a year and a half.
This visit was especially wonderful to me because this past year she went through chemotherapy, and so we are keenly aware that each day with her is a very special gift.
I do not always understand God's ways, but I do always trust Him.
"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."- Proverbs 16:9

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,

It was for me also such a blessing to get to spend as much time with you and your family on this trip as I did. The girls are growing up so fast and you are right in a 'blink' they will be out and doing what God has planned for them. I prayed for them with a new understanding as to where they are in their lives and who they have become, as the local school bus drove past our house this morning. You and your family made me feel so 'special' as I lived as a Holt this week. Crazy schedules, fun walks, sweeping floors, multiplication tables, baking pies, watching movies together, sweeping floors, gathering eggs from the chickens, chasing the dog, feeding the cat, sweeping the floors, going to the park, visiting friends at the bookstore, meeting new friends at small group, church on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings, helping grandchildren with their homework and hoping I was smarter than a 5th grader, and did I mention sweeping floors??

Wow, it was all so much fun!!! I love you all so much.

Love, Mom

Cherie said...

I must have the cleanest floors in Texas...ok well maybe not now that you're gone. Come to think of it I haven't touched the floors since you went home. LOL.
I LOVE YOU and am grateful to have you as a mom, friend and sister!

Recovering Noah said...

Cherie! I didn't know you were blogging again!! Awesome!

Leslie :-)

sarah bess said...

Cherie, glad to see you have a blog! Linking it and will be a not-so-silent stalker...I mean reader! Glad to hear that some good came out of the disappointment. Do hope to see you sometime soon. Bless you! S

Gabi Dickinson said...

Hi,
I hope you don't mind me leaving you a comment. I noticed you have a heart for Him and are a follower of Katie Davis' blog. I'm a 26 year old woman from England who has been called of God to become a Mama to many Ugandan children. I move to Uganda in January of next year and will be taking in children & loving them, just like Katie. I wondered if you might perhaps be interested in my blog. The link is:
www.icarryyouinme.wordpress.com
If you aren't, please just ignore this message. 
Have a lovely day!
Gabi